Monday, February 18, 2008

Will the change to HDTV broadcastinng affect you?

The answer is quite simple.

If you have a TV without a HD tuner and you get your signal from an antenna, then on February 18, 2009, your TV will stop working unless you get a special "converter box". The converter box converts HD signals to an analog signal that your TV is capable of viewing.

Another thing for folks relying on antenna based TV reception to be concerned about is that the digital HD signals may not be as strong as the analog signal they are getting today. So, if you live on the fringe of reception, you may not be able to get the weaker signal.

If you have cable or satellite TV service, then you have nothing to worry about. Your TV signal provider will continue to provide a service that works with your current setup.

2 comments:

John and Mandy said...

I'm so glad you posted this. We've been wondering about this as the big deadline draws nearer. Plus I think my husband was using the technology change to convince me we were going to need a new TV. Now I can let him know we won't be needing a new one!

IT Connection said...

Hey Amanda's Husband...

If I figure out how to "kill" the old analog TV without it being too obvious, I'll post it here. Short Live the CRT. Can't wait for LCD!